Wednesday 16 March 2016

Visual Language - Study task 1 - Set, Series, Sequence - Scooter - Group 3


I used fine liner to create this illustrative design. I feel as though I could of added colour from the film poster to clearly depict what the image was and fit with the theme, but I decided I preferred the simple, black and white look. I decided to create this drawing after brainstorming ideas of what iconic features use scooter or scooter like things that are significant. E.T sprang to mind, which lead me to creating this design. I referenced the iconic film poster, and swapped the bike for a scooter. I feel as though more depth could of been produced by cross-hatching to fit with the fine-liner medium.

Sketchy Black Fine Liner

This was one of the first sketches I did for this Project. My idea of an old person riding a scooter came form this drawing. I kept the image rough and sketchy because it was an initial sketch. If I was to develop this image further, I would clean up the lines and create more of a sense of movement by exaggerating the flow of the dress and the leg action. The shadow on the ground could of been more of a block of black ink rather than a scribbley mess.


Thick felt tip pen over Water colour. 
I attempted to create expressive colour, depth and shading through using water colour for the shiny texture of the scooter. I decided to use a thick felt tip to create the outline and shape to keep with the chunky and bold theme. Because this was a sort of observational sketch from a photograph, I found it difficult to create perspective and depth. However, my aim was to create a cartoon-like image that still had a sense of dimension to it.


This was a continuing concept of the old person riding some form of a scooter. I decided to use simple shapes for this drawing because I feel as though a lot of my drawings have consisted of harsh shapes and I want to show variation within my designs. I think it's hard to tell what the image actually is because of the lack of detail on the scooter. My aim was to create an image of an old woman riding a Vespa thats covered in lights and mirrors. I could of made this more clear by creating a sense of light coming from the spotlights on the scooter.  I also think the detail on the face makes the old woman appear flat. I could of added more dimension to the drawing by blacking out certain areas around the lights on the Vespa.


I decided to do a really simple drawing that consisted of thin lines in the middle of a large piece of paper. I feel as though this image compared to my other images is drastically different due to how simple and clean the lines are. Despite the fact that there is a lack of detail, it is still obvious that it's a scooter. I decided to take a simplistic perspective when creating this piece mostly because I wanted to capture the idea of a scooter and the shapes that a scooter is built up of.

Snail on a scooter in Fine Liner. 
Because I wanted to create a range of styles using different mediums, I decided to create a couple simple designs. I decided to have a snail on the scooter because I thought it would be funny. This image could be developed into a concept to be used in an animation. The snail could be developed into a character, and the scooter could be his mode of transport. I will consider this idea when developing this project further.

I decided to create a continuous line of a Vespa scooter because I felt as though the soft, rounded shapes of the Vespa would be perfect to draw using this technique. Because I chose to do it in pen, I decided to change the drawing technique because my other drawings using pen have come out looking like the same style. I feel as though this style would create an interesting animation, however it would be more time consuming than usual because of thee continuous line technique. I quite like the look of the Vespa because of the continuous line technique, and I will hopefully experiment with this technique in my development images.



After looking at all of my previous drawings, I decided that they could have been improved with the addition of a background to tie the image together. I used water colours to create a blotchy background that had a washed out look to it. I then layered over the top with black fine liner key shapes from the different types of scooters I have been looking at. I decided not to pencil draw it out first because I wanted the drawings to be similar to my previous images of scooter where I had used pen to free hand the images.



No comments:

Post a Comment