Wednesday 16 March 2016

Studio Brief 1 - Set, Series, Sequence - Final 12


Here, are my final 12 developed images where I explored the the image of a naked old man riding a electric scooter. 

I decided to draw on A5 sheets of paper because I found that through this project I feel comfortable creating smaller images with detail on smaller pieces of work. I also felt that it would make more sense as I was working towards creating a story out of the concept and also a storyboard at the end of it.





This was the image that I have chosen to develop. When looking through my  images for set, series, sequence, this one in particular stood out to me. I like the illustrative style and also the comical vibe that it gives off. I also felt like it was a strong image to develop and create a story.

After I decided on the image to develop, I drew different variations of old men, changing the shape and medium to decide on how I wanted the story to look.



When I looked back on my work, I was drawn to the drawing I created based around E.T. I developed this idea of a characters sillouette in front of a moon and applied it to my concept of a naked old man riding a mobility scooter. I like the monochrome look that I created using grey scale pens. The sky has an uneven texture and almost creates a sense of clouds.

I applied the continuous line technique that I enjoyed to this image. I like how the continuous line give the scooter a smooth texture and also adds shading. I feel as though I could of added colour by doing a wash of water colour on the scooter and on the background. I think in the future when creating intial visuals, I will used coloured backgrounds and different mediums to create vivid colours and textures.


Here was the first one I drew. I came up with the concept of having the naked old man, riding through a town. I quickly sketched this using pencil in order to capture the concept, and then lightly went over it in pen. I quite like the composition of this sketch because it shows the interaction between the two minor characters and the focal character.




 This variation of the concept, I decided to draw the old man shorter and round, on a push scooter instead of an electric one. The medium I used was watercolour pencil. However, I preferred how the illustration looked in coloured pencil.  I feel as though this drawing of the old man looks a lot cuter than my other drawings because of his short stature and round body.

I reverted back to the original idea with this one, by having him on an electric scooter. I added more detil to the electric scooter by defining the wheel protectors more and adding a registration plate. I also added more detail to the old man's face by giving him liver spots on his head as well as glasses and wrinkles. I sketched out a rough outline and then went over it in pen. I like how this one turned out however, His feet disapear where they should be. This error probably occurred because I went straight to drawing the outline perminantly rather than reviewing the image carefully first. 


This came from a concept I had where the old man would look into the reflection of his mirror, and the sun would be glaring and he would be all sunburnt. I decided to capture this idea in the form of Pro Marker pens. I'm still not used to using this medium, and I found it difficult because the pen would bleed a lot and create mucky colours if too close to another colour. The sun could use some more work as it looks generic and doesn't fit with the old man. I also think that detail could of been added to the background by using a black pen to create shading throughout. I feel as though this could be a good establishing shot for an animation because it includes all the elements of the scene. 


I used promarkers here again. I decided not to include a background because I felt as though the backgrounds can distract form the image I'm attempting to develop. I decided to draw the old man in a hate, scarf and a pair of woolly socks to juxtapose his nakedness. I feel like i have created a good sense of movement by utilising the scarf into a flowing, horizontal shape as well as using motion lines. When creating the image, I didn't take into account space of composition, this caused the bobble of his hat to be cut off. If I was to draw this again I would definitely take into account composition in order to fit all of the drawing onto the paper. I have made this mistake quite a few times.



Here, I decided to go down a more detailed route and use thick, acrylic paint to create a bold aesthetic to the illustration type image. I took into account my previous mistakes of not taking into account the size of the drawing compared to the size of the page. I quite like how the smoke turned out despite the fact I have never been able to draw smoke and have it turn out okay. I decided to draw him with blue slippers to fit in with his old man persona. I am confident in thinking that this would be the style that I would continue to develop and use if I was to animate this concept. I am usually attracted to bold and distinctive shapes in animation and illustrations.



I wanted to create a scene where the character was riding off into the sunset, However, I felt as though the centre of the image was too busy with the sun drawn around the character, so decided to place the sun to the left of the scene. I also found the character to lean more to the right. This could pass for the character bobbing along on his scooter. My aim for this was to create a bright scene and develop the focal point of the image. I could have added more detail to the road as well as to the grass. I also could have added birds to the sky and more detail to the clouds by giving them a more defined shape.




Because the imagery of my response is quite silly, I decided to create a childish rendition. I used oil pastels to quickly create block colour and then layered on top with fine liner over some places to create definition and facial expression. I feel as though this image has a lot of character and has a messy and distinctive framework to develop. Ii feel as though I took a step back in my development with this image, but I enjoy how it turned out and I think I could revisit this grainy and textured style again.


Overall I feel as though I have created 12 successful images that relate to my concept of a scooter. I felt comfortable using the mediums as well as showing variation in each of the drawings by changing the character's looks as well as the colours. 

No comments:

Post a Comment