Wednesday 16 March 2016

Visual Language - Study task 1 - Set, Series, Sequence - Scooter - Group 4

 My aim with these ones were to capture simple concepts in a creative way.






Here, I decided to experiment with objects that could make up the object I was aiming to create. I decided to use facial features because I felt as though it would create a strange and silly image. I used pastels to add colour because the colours are easily blend-able, and create a messy look.

I feel as though this is one of my strongest drawings. I had an idea early on that I would have a naked old man, on a mobility scooter, and this was the first sketch that I did of that concept. This concept is something I will develop further by experimenting with mediums and styles to find a style that I feel suitable for my storyboard.

I decided to create a messy and simple look with this interpretation of my word. I used bright red paint, and layered fine liner over the top. I feel as though this slightly abstract look is typical of background objects in classic animations such as children's cartoons from the 90's. This would be when there would be colours shapes, mostly rectangles and squares, and the background artists would use pens to create outlined shaped on top of the block colours.

I tried to explore this abstract style shown in my previous drawing by using thick, gouache paint. I used the paint straght from the tube because I wanted to create a thick, messy line that stand out against my other pieces.


In this image, I tried to create an image of a children's scooter with a teddy in the pouch. I took inspiration from an image I came across on Pinterest, however, because I wanted to work on working up my speed of drawing, I decided to quickly sketch the outline and go straight into painting without a second thought. This created a warped perspective and a lack of shading which has demonstrated to me the importance of planning a drawing out in advance, and working in layers.

Here, I created an image of a witch on an electric scooter. My aim was to create a simple, illustration using black and some green ink, because I feel as though I tend to stick with a sketchy and rough design and I want to achieve a steady hand.I decided to put her on an electric scooter because I hadn't used that style of scooter yet.



This was a quick sketch I created using chalk pastels. I wanted to create a sketchy and messy look by free handing block colours to create an electric scooter shape. I enjoyed using this medium because it's messy and quick, however, the colours can smudge easy and lose vibrancy over time. I feel as though if I had sketched out the shape first, and then went over with the chalk, the perspective would have been better.

Overall, I feel as though these pieces capture my aim, which was to capture a sense of experimentation through mediums that I wouldn't normally use, as well as demonstrating various concepts and idea's. 

No comments:

Post a Comment