Wednesday 16 March 2016

Visual Language - Study task 1 - Set, Series, Sequence - Scooter - Group 2


Because I hadn't used paints for a while, I decided to use different types of paint, mainly water colour and acrilyc. I decided to draw up and paint a blue Vespa, because that seems to be the retro, classic style of a Vespa. I got a little frustrated with this one because I had lightly sketched out a pattern on the Vespa, and then when I coated the image with blue water colour, the sketches disappeared when it dried. I then attempted to free hand sketch the pattern of the tree again, but failed.


Here, I was inspired by Joan Cornella. I decided to use watered down acrylic paints because I prefer the consistency and pay off compared to water colour and guache. I used a lot of water, but layered the paints to add texture and definition. I wanted to create something slightly repulsive yet humorous and that didn't require planning or a thought process. I personally think that this is one of my strongest pieces out of all of my images.


Here, I decided to take on a minimalistic, graphics approach. I used gouache paint to create this one, but I personally felt as though the paint is too thick and can create an uneven texture when not smoothed out. I also found out that using pen's/fineliners over the top tends to scrape away the paint.
 My aim for this piece was to create something bold, simple and quirky to contrast with my other drawings. I also wanted to express a fun sort of outlook on a typical scooter by combining it with another image.

I had an image in my head of a dog in a circus style outfit, on a tiny scooter. I used acrylic paints, and found an image on line of a French Bulldog for reference on the face. I decided to use bold colours because I didn't want to create something too complicated and I feel using bright colours can manipulate the imagery into a vivid image. I feel as though this piece is one of my main illustrative pieces, however I could of paid more attention at giving off a sense of movement. I also think a background would of tied in the whole piece.


I decided to experiment further with action shots because I feel as though I lack in the ability to create a sense of motion. Here, I sketched a boy riding an ordinary scooter. I kept the sketch messy in order to show variation in my various Scooter responses as I felt that a lot of my images so far were a little illustrative. I also paid close attention to the anatomy and shape of the body by referencing photographs. I feel as though I successfully captured a sense of movement, however the sketch is still flat and lacks in dimension. From this sketch I have learnt that in the future I will focus more on the line of action a movement creates, and build up from that.



No comments:

Post a Comment