Tuesday 22 March 2016

Studio Brief 2b - Applied Animation - Titles - NOS4R2


NOS4R2 (NOS4A2 in American publications) is a Horror themed novel by writer Joe Hill. The book is based around a character called Vic who's tries to save her son from a psychotic, supernatural killer called Charles Manx. The characters experience scary and bizarre encounters that involve themes of gore and psychological horror. The story line is a constant flow of creepy imagery and excitement. 

The two main characters, Charles Manx and his partner Bing Partridge, are both extremely strange characters. Charles Manx is the main evil in the novel, who entices children to visit his world called "Christmas land". His Vampire like features and creepy presence is something I am extremely looking forward to designing and experimenting with. There has been one graphic novel created based on this character and his dis-topian world full of children's ghosts. However, I would base my designs directly on the descriptions in the novels, and develop them to create a design that is true to the book.

At this moment in time, there are certain elements and key scenes from the novel that spring to mind, that I would want to include in my Titles. These include:
  • The Rolls Royce car.
  • The face of Charles Manx in the moon.
  • The gingerbread gas.
  • Bing partridge dancing with his dead mother.
  • Christmasland.
  • The shorter way bridge.

Even though the key elements of the novel are based around christmas, it is not a christmas novel, which is something I want to establish from the titles. I won't be having christmas as the main theme of the titles. The initial idea in my head at this moment, is a dark and dingy animation, that involves a lot of dull colours and angular shapes that evolve from one scene to another, that fully encapulates the show.

My next step is skimming through my copy of the book, and writing down, highlighting and sketching imagery from the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment