Wednesday 16 March 2016

Study Task 2 - Environmental Storytelling - The Corn Exchange


I decided to draw us e the corn exchange as one of my environments because of the wide open space, and how it's drastically different from my other environments because of how modern the architecture is, and how open inside is.

Key words:
  • Clean
  • Smooth
  • Quiet
  • Bright/Light
  • Colourful
  • Modern
  • Warm
  • Decorative



This is probably the most detailed observational sketch that I did at the corn exchange. I decided to sit in the middle of the building in the cafe in order to see the interior from different perspectives. Even though I spent about half an hour drawing this scene out, I decided to keep it sketchy throughout so I could change certain aspects of it if I wanted to later on. I  referred to the rule of thirds in order to find a good composition. My idea's so far in developing this sketch is to develop the focal point of the background. The shop in the middle could be detailed and brighter than the rest of the background in order to attract more attention in a transitional shot. Because of the open space in the middle, having the scene on the stairs, disending down into the space would be interesting.




Here I decided to create quick thumbnails using different mediums and slight style change. I used two different perspectives as well. I decided to use different mediums and styles to explore the process of capturing the environment, as my first environment was documented using only pencil.



Here I decided to use fine liner, and created this image in over a minute. I quite like how messy, slightly abstract and plain this thumbnail turned out. However, because of the simple lines, and how the environment has a slight curve to it, it was difficult to establish a perspective and create an interesting background. Because the atmosphere is clean, and precise because of the smooth angles of the buildings, it was difficult to capture the interior using fine liner in the short time I had given myself without creating sporadic and  sketchy lines as I wanted to keep the thumbnail quick and simple overall.


Here, I used bright block colours, and a messy free hand. I decided to create a thumbnail that was completely opposite to my previous ones in order explore colour combinations to exaggerate and create a noisy yet simple background. This thumbnail reminds me of 90's animation when the backgrounds would be abstract and consist of block shapes with outlines of objects over the top.


I decided to use more toned down colours than before, and create more defined and clean shapes. Even though this thumbnail is still quite abstract, I feel as though it could be used as a background for a rough and bright coloured animation. I decided to simplify the shapes down and redefine them with fine liner. By doing this, I managed to capture the environment, without the objects and surrounding being too distracting. I still found it difficult to create perspective because of the shape of the room, however, In my next visit, I could try and draw from a flat level instead of looking up, or draw from a side view in order to exaggerate the perspective.


Here, I did a small sketch in pencil to capture the interior because I felt as though using the other mediums made the marks too permanent and difficult to correct and create shading to develop. 

My next step is to use bright block colours to create a 90's cartoon vibe for my backgrounds.

No comments:

Post a Comment