Tuesday 13 October 2015

Studio Brief 1 - Ratatouille Tasting scene Animation



Over the weekend I decided to watch Ratatouille because I hadn't watched it for a while and I still didn't fully understand the hype that surrounded it at the time it was released. Personally, I think the style was quite generic, and a lot more could of gone into the overall design of the animation as a whole. Anyway, the only scene that stuck out to me was the scene were Remy tastes some cheese and a strawberry.

I found it really interesting how they visually depicted taste through animation and sound. The jazz style music creates a noisy feel to the visualisation of the taste, which in turn presents us with a sense that the food is strong in taste. The soft shapes created adds a sense of a smooth texture. Overall, I feel that this scene successfully depicts a sense of taste and texture, as well as presenting us with the fact that the character itself has a full awareness of taste.



Here, a different character tastes cheese and some sort of fruit as well. His experience is quite the opposite to Remy's. The colours and shapes are dull, the sounds are far apart and faded to create a sense of a dull taste on his pallet.





The first two clips led me to this one. These are the stand alone animations of the visualization of taste from the clips. I found this to be hypnotising and calming and it also makes me strangely hungry. The video says that their aim was to create an abstract visual representation of the taste of cheese and strawberry. To me I think they succeeded.

No comments:

Post a Comment